The DiScipio Buck

By Jim DiScipio

The DiScipio Buck

It was November 10th, around 3:00 pm, when I first saw movement behind my tree stand. A big doe and a fawn were feeding as they quickly passed behind me. They were real spooky because it was such a windy afternoon. When they were out of sight I settled back down again.

As time went by the wind started to pick up and I was just about to call it quits when I thought I heard something behind me. Slowly, I turned to take a look. I couldn't believe what I saw. Less than fifteen yards behind me stood the buck I had been after for three years. I never even heard him come in.

He then started walking right at my tree, stopping about 15 feet straight down underneath me. I could actually hear him breathing.

I thought he would spook for sure. I couldn't take it any longer so I shot straight down at him. He just stood there looking at the tree. I couldn't move a muscle. Then he turned around and started smelling the ground, giving me the opportunity to nock another arrow. As he started quartering away, at about 18 yards, I shot again. He took off crashing through the woods. I watched him as far as I could, he didn't act as if I'd hit him at all.

Everything happened so fast that I didn't have time to get excited. But when the deer was out of sight, I started shaking so badly I could hardly climb down out of the tree.

When I got to the ground, I searched for my arrow. It was 4 feet away from the tree, sticking straight out of the ground. The arrow never touched him.

Quickly I looked for the other arrow, but couldn't find it. By this time it was dark, so I left the woods to return in the morning at first light. It was a hard decision to leave, but I didn't want to mess-up any sign that the deer might have left or spook the deer any further.

I couldn't sleep at all that night. Upon returning to my hunting spot in the morning, I looked for the second arrow. I found it covered with blood, it had gone clean through.

After about a 250 yard tracking job with my friend Paul and his friend, there lay the buck I had hunted for three years. I just couldn't believe it.

The buck aged at 7 1/2 years old and scored 138 Pope & Young. It had a dressed weight of 218 lbs. The head mount was done by Skip Reilly of Guilderland, NY. What a great job he did, thanks Skip!

Of eighteen bucks I've harvested in the past, this one was the biggest. I thank God for allowing me to harvest such a beautiful animal. Happy hunting and good luck out there in the woods.

Back to Deer Stories Page from DiScipio Buck

Sign Up FREE!

and recieve our upcoming newsletters and other site info.


First Name

Go to my Blog


Click on the decal image below to order yours!

NYAntler Decal