2013 Geibel Buck

By Lee Geibel

I hunted the 2013 opening day morning, and evening, with plenty of sightings but none of the decent bucks showed up.  On the second day I skipped the morning hunt because of bad winds for all my morning stands and having some work I needed to get done. That evening I had two of the decent bucks at twenty yards all out battling for 15 minutes with no shot at either of them.

The next Thursday a.m. I went in to move that particular stand up another ten feet, it was at twenty feet and just seemed to be too low for my liking. Seeing as we were leaving for PA that afternoon I figured I would get in, move the stand up, spray it all down, and get out of there and be gone for a few days.

I wanted to hunt the evening of my return from PA, but we didn't get back in time.  October 7th morning with the impending rains I didn't dare hunt and the wind again was iffy for my morning spots. As the day wore on and the rains moved out and the temps dropped to 50. The winds picked up from the west south west and it was game on.... but there seemed to be a persistent little disturbance to the west and I was watching it on the radar. Finally, I decided that it was going to move out over the lake and be good to go with no rain. My concern over the rain made me later than I wanted to be to get to the stand. I moved, but I figured if I hustled I'd be ok.

I have been watching this buck for 3 months from long range almost on a daily basis in the evenings and any mornings I didn't have to work. I parked the truck at 4:45 changed clothes and sprayed down with scent shield. I literally jogged the 300 yards to my stand, hooked up the harness and bow then up the tree. I pulled the bow up, knocked an arrow, and hung the bow on the hanger then hung my fanny pack on the tree. I turn around starting to zip my jacket when I look up and saw him coming towards me! 

I picked up the bow and he is now just about under me. He walked behind me as I eased to full draw. He stops at 7 yards broadside then raises his head testing the wind. It was too late... the green pin was burning a hole through the top of his right shoulder, almost like a laser guide for the wasp tipped xx78. At the shot he lunged forward and sprinted 35 yards before I heard him crash... I was in disbelief about what had just transpired, I was not in the stand three minutes before I shot him... I knew it was going to be close on time but I didn't realize it was going to be that close. I'm done till I head back to PA to hunt.

Back to Deer Stories Page from 2013 Geibel Buck

Copyright © 2010-2022 New York Antler Outdoors. All Rights Reserved

Sign Up FREE!

and recieve our upcoming newsletters and other site info.


First Name

Go to my Blog


Click on the decal image below to order yours!

NYAntler Decal